1. Come to the brunch this Saturday and eat that bacon we smell on most Saturday morning practices. See prior post for info. But for members (those who signed up for USMS and joined the Asheville Workout Group) you can eat all you want for FREE. Last year was a feast of all sorts of delicious food. Bring a non-AMS friend/kid/family for $5.
2. The 8th Annual Steve Barden Memorial Masters Swim Meet and open water event is scheduled for Sept 14. It’s a great event to try open water swimming with a 200m, 1/2 mile and 1 mile swim and it’s our major fundraiser of the year. We will again seek sponsorships, and we are discussing putting logos on team athletic t-shirts this year rather than just the meet heat sheet. The online meet entry is here.
3. We have slowly continued making Admin changes which included changing our website host to reduce operating expenses. You should have received an e-mail asking you to join our website blog, so we can use that as our prime method of communication going forward.
4. Coach Andrew is swimming 10 miles, Willie McCourt is swimming one-mile and Dale McCourt is going for three in the 5th annual Kingdom Open Water Event on July 6th up in Vermont! Check out the details here: http://www.kingdomswim.org.
5. 6 month Punch Passes are due beginning July 1 – $250. Ten punch passes continue at $50 for 10 swims.
6. Stay tuned for a Summer Event at the Whistling Pig Farm of Tom, Anne and August Sherry. Details will be announced soon.
7. Lake Lure Open Water swim is coming up on August 24. It’s a 2 mile open water swim after the morning’s triathlon. It’s an easy loop course with lovely mountain scenery for those who might be tempted.
8. Remember Tuesday’s are for open water swimming at Rec Park 50 meter pool. We have two lane lines for warm-up and Andrew incorporates both lane line and buoy swimming into the practice. This is a fantastic opportunity to work on open water skills like sighting, swimming straight, passing people and turning around buoys.